WATCH THE VIDEO IT - EN - READ THE BROCHURE IT - EN
THE MUSEUM OF PEACE - MAMT
is located in the historic building of former “Grand Hotel de Londres”, overlooking the central Municipio Square, only a stone’s throw from the port and next to the Metro station designed by Portuguese architect Alvaro Siza.
This is a place - where the Fondazione Mediterraneo itself is based - where memories, collections, multimedia systems, music and events enthral visitors guiding them through a particular emotional experience for an unforgettable memory of Naples.
The various rooms of the Museum are dedicated to the States and Cities of the Mediterranean area as well as to Don Bosco.
They were inaugurated by Heads of State and Government from the Euro-Mediterranean countries: the President of the Republic of Macedonia Gligorov, the President of the Portuguese Republic Cavaco Silva, the Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan and the King of Spain Felipe diBorbone, by the Presidents of the Euro-Mediterranean Parliaments, Queen Rania of Jordan, by the President of Israel Peres to the President of Palestine Abu Mazen, the Presidents of the European Parliament Haensch and Cox and by the President of the Republic of Malta de Marco.
The “Don Bosco” Hall and the emotional pathways were inaugurated by the Rector Major of the Salesians Don Ángel Fernández Artime while the “Maria Mazzarello” Hall was inaugurated by the Mother Superior of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians Yvonne Reungoat.
The “Grand Hotel de Londres” was designed by architect Giovan Battista Comencini
and built between 1895 and 1899. The palace is considered the first important example of Art Nouveau that, subsequently was to have a glorious strand in Naples, inaugurating the current of “Neapolitan Liberty”: the neo-Renaissance façade is very simple and the use of metal structures creates a great visual impact while being innovative at the same time.
Enrico Caruso and Winston Churchill
stayed at the Grand Hotel de Londres. A Hall of the Museum is dedicated to Winston Churchill, and this was created in the original suite where the statesman used to stay.